Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Two recent painting pieces


David asked me to post pics of my paintings. These two are from my painting class this semester. I've done several pieces in class but I've struggled overall this semester. But for it's worth... These are oil on paper. I think the smaller one is 22x30.

I like these because I kept more of my own style in them. The red one is a comment on homogenized housing developments and the pink (the instructor's required color) is related to a friend's grief at the death of her son.

I had a hard time with the face in this second one. I was working from several photos of different skinned people. So, I can't say I'm satisfied there.

David, your Lovecraft comment on the nude in the case made me laugh. You should have seen the cardboard, day-glo duct tape set the instructor had for the poor models to sit/stand/recline in! Lovecraft is a perfect description. I'll try to take some pics from my pieces in Drawing as Printmaking class which has been a terrific experience. I highly recommend it, especially with Brad Shanks if you can get one of his classes. I think they are doing lithography next semester and Painterly Printmaking is screenprinting.

3 comments:

ec said...

Ah...

these are really great to see, b/c they reveal your concerns with gesture and I know more about you from them.

Love the various handling in the first especially.

Second makes me want you to work from life for the head or else use a symbolic head...

What scale, dimensions?

Such fanciful wanderings in your imagination, which we know is opulent, textural, richly hued and embellished with marks as baubles.

Look keenly at Velasquez, especially the infantas--see how he handles ornamentation. Something tells me your flowers can use that. Also Manet's late flower paintings.

I hope it's okay to suggest these things...the paintings told me to do it. Painting can be so tricky in the ongoing negotiation between freedom and control, hint and overt statement. I'd love to see these huge, so that you really take on the paint, you can surely handle it.

Now, to arrange a studio the size of the Prado.

David said...

Terri...

So great to see you own here!!! I love the paintings...It is so great to see your work in oils...I think of the first piece you did in class and see the progression in these pieces. I want to see more!!!

I agree with Elisabeth...time to work big...If I recall you have a rather large canvas that is needing some paint??? The way you handle your paint is great...it has the movement of watercolor...but the richness and depth that you can only find in oils.

Great work Terri!!! Please post your print works...I'm sure everyone would love to see them!!!

Amber Antonelli said...

These pictures arent showing up fo me =[